I love vegetables. I can’t recall a vegetable I’ve met and didn’t like.
Brussel sprouts? Love.
Spinach? More please.
I could go on, but I’ll spare you.
I am a meat-eater. I can not deny that. But sometimes I just want veggies (and carbs). For last night’s dinner I wanted to use fresh-from-the-garden zucchini and grape tomatoes my father-in-law grew. Major green thumb, that one. I also had 4 million cremini mushrooms I wanted to dive into. And the biggest jar of sun-dried tomatoes known to man was eyeballing me, begging me to open it up and enjoooooy (thank you, Costco).
I ♥ sundried tomatoes. In oil. I love that oil.
I roasted the mushrooms, zucchini & tomatoes along with a good amount of garlic and shallots (shallots: underrated), onion, olive oil and good ol’ s&p. I would have loved fresh basil, but I couldn’t bear to plant and kill yet another basil plant this year. Maybe next year. So a little dried basil got tossed in the mix, too.
Add the simple wonder of roasted veggies & sun-dried tomatoes to whole wheat pasta and I had a simple and healthy dinner.
Except that I had a container of Philadelphia Italian Herb Cooking Cream in the fridge and I wanted to try it. So that kind of screwed up my super healthy meal.
I only used half the container. And their containers are small, folks.
We gobbled up this pasta dish. So here’s the easy recipe–adapt it to fit your tastes and whatever veggies you have on hand. I was going for a Meatless Monday, but grilled strips of chicken would be a yummy addition.
Roasted Veggie Pasta
- ½ large onion, sliced (I used Vidalia)
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large (GIANT) shallot, minced
- 3 zucchini, sliced
- ½ cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup cremini mushrooms, sliced
- salt and pepper (I started with about 2 teaspoons of salt and half a teaspoon of pepper, then adjusted to taste halfway through roasting)
- 3-4 tablespoons olive oil
- about 1 teaspoon dried basil (fresh would be great)
- ¼ cup (I used more :) ) sliced sun-dried tomatoes in oil
- 13.25 oz box whole wheat rotini (any pasta of your preference)
- 5 oz (half container) Philadelphia Cooking Crème, Italian cheese & herb flavor
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Toss the onion, garlic, shallot, zucchini, tomatoes, and mushrooms with salt, pepper, dried basil, and olive oil on a baking sheet. Spread out on sheet. Cook vegetables in oven for about 20 minutes. Turn/mix halfway though cooking time, tasting vegetables to adjust salt and pepper accordingly. Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to directions (about 9 minutes) until al dente. Drain and set aside. In a large nonstick skillet, place the pasta and vegetables. Add the cooking crème and sun-dried tomatoes and mix thoroughly. I also add a couple teaspoons of the sun-dried tomato oil. Cook on medium heat about 2-3 minutes until warmed through. Serve immediately.