I love vegetables. I can’t recall a vegetable I’ve met and didn’t like.
Brussel sprouts? Love.
Spinach? More please.
I could go on, but I’ll spare you.
I am a meat-eater. I can not deny that. But sometimes I just want veggies (and carbs). For last night’s dinner I wanted to use fresh-from-the-garden zucchini and grape tomatoes my father-in-law grew. Major green thumb, that one. I also had 4 million cremini mushrooms I wanted to dive into. And the biggest jar of sun-dried tomatoes known to man was eyeballing me, begging me to open it up and enjoooooy (thank you, Costco).
I ♥ sundried tomatoes. In oil. I love that oil.
I roasted the mushrooms, zucchini & tomatoes along with a good amount of garlic and shallots (shallots: underrated), onion, olive oil and good ol’ s&p. I would have loved fresh basil, but I couldn’t bear to plant and kill yet another basil plant this year. Maybe next year. So a little dried basil got tossed in the mix, too.
Add the simple wonder of roasted veggies & sun-dried tomatoes to whole wheat pasta and I had a simple and healthy dinner.
Except that I had a container of Philadelphia Italian Herb Cooking Cream in the fridge and I wanted to try it. So that kind of screwed up my super healthy meal.
I only used half the container. And their containers are small, folks. 🙂
We gobbled up this pasta dish. So here’s the easy recipe–adapt it to fit your tastes and whatever veggies you have on hand. I was going for a Meatless Monday, but grilled strips of chicken would be a yummy addition.
Roasted Veggie Pasta
- ½ large onion, sliced (I used Vidalia)
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large (GIANT) shallot, minced
- 3 zucchini, sliced
- ½ cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup cremini mushrooms, sliced
- salt and pepper (I started with about 2 teaspoons of salt and half a teaspoon of pepper, then adjusted to taste halfway through roasting)
- 3-4 tablespoons olive oil
- about 1 teaspoon dried basil (fresh would be great)
- ¼ cup (I used more 🙂 ) sliced sun-dried tomatoes in oil
- 13.25 oz box whole wheat rotini (any pasta of your preference)
- 5 oz (half container) Philadelphia Cooking Crème, Italian cheese & herb flavor
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Toss the onion, garlic, shallot, zucchini, tomatoes, and mushrooms with salt, pepper, dried basil, and olive oil on a baking sheet. Spread out on sheet. Cook vegetables in oven for about 20 minutes. Turn/mix halfway though cooking time, tasting vegetables to adjust salt and pepper accordingly. Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to directions (about 9 minutes) until al dente. Drain and set aside. In a large nonstick skillet, place the pasta and vegetables. Add the cooking crème and sun-dried tomatoes and mix thoroughly. I also add a couple teaspoons of the sun-dried tomato oil. Cook on medium heat about 2-3 minutes until warmed through. Serve immediately.