There’s really no excuse for calling this a snack cake. As if it’s good for you and equal to eating a handful of dried fruit as a mid-day snack. I digress because who cares what it’s called, right? Some of you know (okay, like 3 of you know, but that’s “some”) that I don’t care for bananas. I eat a few a week because I’m completely devoted to my health (ahahahahahahahahahahahaaa!), but I don’t enjoy them. Too dry.
But I love them in my mama’s banana bread or a nice banana cream pie. You know, that kind of thing. And I love it in this chocolate cake. Mmmm. Though many people hate this word, I have to say it: it’s so moist. If you’ve a couple bananas headed for the trash soon, save their little souls and make this cake!
Chocolate Monkey Snack Cake
- (adapted from Betty Crocker)
- •2 very ripe bananas
- •1/3 cup vegetable oil
- • ⅓ cup water
- •1 tsp. instant coffee granules
- •1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- •1/2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- •1 and ¼ cups flour
- •3/4 cup sugar
- •1/4 cup dark cocoa powder (I use rich, dark, Dutch-processed)
- •1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- •1 tsp. baking soda
- •1/3 cup milk chocolate chips
- •1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, mash the two bananas well with a fork. Stir in oil and water. In a small bowl, mix instant coffee granules with vanilla extract and vinegar and add to banana mixture. Add the flour, sugar, cocoa, salt, baking soda and mix until combined. Mix the milk chocolate chips and semi-sweet chips together in a small bowl. Add ⅓ cup of chips to batter and stir until just combined. Pour batter into an ungreased 8 x 8-inch pan. Sprinkle remaining ⅓ chips on top of batter. Bake for about 33-38 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool slightly (about 10-15 minutes) before serving. We prefer it warm.
- Enjoy! ♥