Hello and happy weekend! I want to say thank you (Thank you!) to those of you who have taken the time to watch my videos on my new YouTube channel. That’s prime real estate, your tv-viewing time, and I appreciate you giving ’em a view! ♥
Alrighty, popping in during this relaxing holiday weekend to share a quick recipe (not really a recipe, I’d say): My favorite reliable, filling, nutritious breakfast.
With no added sweetener save for a large teaspoon of honey on occasion, the sweetness comes from the fruit you choose to toss in. I always add a berry and whatever other fresh seasonal fruit I have on hand. My favorites include pineapple, peaches, mangoes, and nectarines. I try for three fruits (the juicier, the better). I freeze organic/garden-fresh fruit in the summer months so I’ve stock on hand through winter. I’ll toss the fruit in frozen,but it thaws quickly and just cools it all dowwwwn.
Add as much almond milk as you prefer. I start with a few tablespoons and increase the amount once I’ve stirred it up a bit.
Most know about the benefits of flax seed, but I raved about black sesame in the video (see the video above). Aside from flavor and smell (the ground sesame is one of my top 10 smells…. intoxicating), why add it to my healthy breakfast?
Glad you asked, friend.
Just a few of the many health benefits of black sesame:
- A great source of magnesium: Regulates blood pressure, reduces chances of migraines and tension headaches, prevents diabetes
- High in iron: Very helpful to those with anemia
- Contains zinc: Great for your immune system (bye-bye colds!), good for the bones (stay away, osteoporosis!)
- Reduces risk of some cancers: Black sesame has sesamin (protecting your liver), lignans (fiber also found in the flax seed I add to this breakfast) and phytosterols which fight certain cancers.
- Lowers cholesterol: The sesamin, sesamolin, and phytosterols (very high levels of phytosterols in sesame which block cholesterol production) reduce cholesterol levels. Not bad!
- Good for the hair and skin tone: Always a nice bonus for me!
There are even more benefits to these magical little seeds, too! Give this breakfast a try! It’s so versatile and healthy–you can’t go wrong with this one.
Healthy Yogurt Breakfast Bowl
- ¼ to ⅓ cup Greek Yogurt (I use Fage 0%)
- A small handful of walnuts (break them up as you like)
- 1 heaping Tbsp. ground flaxseed (I buy Bob's Red Mill Whole Flaxseed and grind them in my coffee bean grinder)
- 1 Tbp. wheat germ (I use Bob's Red Mill)
- 1 Tbsp. ground black sesame seed (I buy whole black roasted sesame and grind in my coffee bean grinder)
- 1 to 1.5 cups of your favorite fruit: I prefer organic berries, nectarines, peaches, mango, pineapple--whatever you like!
- Almond milk: start with about 3 Tbsp. and increase as needed to get preferred consistency (I prefer Trader Joe's unsweetened vanilla almond milk or Blue Diamond unsweetened vanilla almond milk)
- 3 Tbsp. dried cherries (or whatever dried fruit you prefer)
- Optional: 1 to 2 tsp. honey
- Add all ingredients to a bowl and mix. Enjoy!