Ah, the ever-popular smoothie. So tasty, so trendy. Big fan of tasty, not so much trendiness. However, despite the trend, there’s no denying smoothies can be a great way to give your barely-awake self a boost of nutrition and energy in the morning. I’m extra-eager to whip them up lately because my big sis got me a NutriBullet for Christmas. Oh, the happiness! Powerful little gadget, that Bullet. It makes the perfect amount ( 2 large servings) and there’s very little clean up. Convenience AND healthiness during the weekday morning rush? Score, a direct hit! (name that 80s movie)
Here’s a smoothie that Munchie loves. Tis reminiscent of that lovely beachy cocktail, good ol’ piña colada, but I also add berries to up the fruity fresh flavor. I’m a huge fan of Greek yogurt (I used Chobani 0% today) and there’s always a container of it in my fridge. That makes it a must-have in our favorite smoothies, including this one. My smoothies are rarely without chia seeds and ground flax so I added heaping tablespoons of them to this one, too.
Alright, so much talking, so little smoothie-making–go ahead and try this one out and get your day started right!
Berry Pina Colada Breakfast Smoothie
- ½ or whole frozen banana, your choice to taste (when my bananas are ripe, I peel and freeze them for smoothies)
- ½ cup fresh pineapple, cut into chunks
- ⅓ cup frozen or fresh strawberries
- ⅓ cup nonfat Greek yogurt (I used Chobani 0%)
- ½ to ¾ cup coconut milk (I use the Trader Joe's refrigerated carton), adjust according to preferred texture/taste
- 1 Tbsp. freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 tsp. raw honey
- 1 Tbsp. chia seeds
- 1 Tbsp. ground flaxseed
- 3 tbsp. shredded coconut (add more if you like), plus more to serve/garnish ( I use Trader Joe's sweetened shredded coconut)
- Place all ingredients in blender (I use a NutriBullet) in the order listed. Blend until smooth. Top with more shredded coconut and enjoy!