A few people have kindly asked if I’d share recipes I mention in my grocery haul videos. It’s my pleasure to do so. I’m always happy to share meals we enjoy.
Here’s the recipe for a dish that can be served as the main entrée or a side dish. You can make it meatless and it’ll still be good. I love grilling the chicken with taco seasoning to give it more flavor, but use whatever chicken you have on hand. You want the chicken precooked before adding it to the rice base so leftover chicken or rotisserie chicken works wonderfully. If you have cooked rice and chicken on hand, this dish comes together in a flash. And don’t forget to adjust the ingredients to your liking. More or less corn, extra salsa–do what works for you!
My husband and little one like to eat it as a filling in soft corn tortillas. Use it as a hearty nacho base or, as I do, help yourself to a large serving and top with sliced avocado with a few tortilla chips on the side. Enjoy!
I also made a video while I made this last night. You can watch it here:
- 2 to 3 cups of chicken, cooked and diced
- 2 cups brown rice, cooked
- 1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 to 2 cups frozen sweet corn
- ¾ cup plain 0% Greek yogurt (or sour cream)
- ¾ to 1 cup salsa
- 1 Tbsp. taco seasoning; I make my own, but store-bought works, too
- 1 cup shredded cheese plus ½ cup for topping; Mexican blend works well if you buy pre-grated/shredded
- 2 Tbsp. diced green chiles; use more or less to taste
- To serve/garnish: chopped cilantro, chopped red onion, sliced olives, sour cream, avocado slices, lime wedges, salsa
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine all ingredients (except for the cilantro and garnishes) in a large bowl. Mix well. Taste and adjust ingredients. If the mixture is too dry, add more yogurt. Place mixture in a 9 x 13 in. glass baking dish and spread mixture evenly. Top with remaining ½ cup of cheese. Bake for about 20 to 25 minutes or until it is heated through. Enjoy!