Let’s just address something right off the bat. This cake calls for a boxed mix. There. Done. 😉
Whenever I serve this cake or tote it to a BBQ at a friend’s house, I get a request for the recipe. It has loads of chocolate flavor and is so moist thanks to the sour cream.
I top it with a very simple chocolate frosting. Then I scatter a few extra chocolate chips on top (as pictured), but on occasion I’ll decorate it with a bit of white chocolate drizzle or colorful sprinkles to make Munchie smile.
- 1 box Devil's Food cake mix (I only use Duncan Hines brand as it yields the best results for me)
- 1 3.5 oz. box instant chocolate pudding mix
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 eggs
- ¾ cup warm water (not boiling)
- ¾ cup oil
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips OR a mix of milk and dark chocolate chips (I do a heaping cup!)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease or spray Bundt pan. I prefer Baker's Joy. Do not skip this step or your cake will likely stick to the pan.
- Mix cake mix, pudding mix, sour cream, eggs, water and oil in a large bowl until well blended. You can use a stand mixer or hand mixer/blender.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Bake cake for 40 to 50 minutes. Check the cake with a toothpick at 40 minutes. If the toothpick doesn't come out clean, check every few minutes until done.
- Cool cake completely and then drizzle/spoon frosting over. Top with chocolate chips if you like!
- Frosting Recipe: Melt 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter in a bowl. Add ¼ cup milk, 5 tablespoons cocoa powder, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and 2-3 cups of powdered sugar. Mix until smooth and thickens slightly. Spoon over cooled cake.